Monday, July 28, 2008

Eat Your Heart Out, Matt


I'm trying to be like Matt. Isn't it an artistic pic? No, it wasn't taken in Amsterdam, Japan, or any other crazy foreign country he's been to or is going to.
I've been a reading machine lately. My tastes in books are strange; the majority of books I read are considered children/young adult novels. It's really because the science fiction/fantasy genre for young adults is in a golden era, so to speak. You can thank J.K. Rowling for that; there were a lot of great Sci-Fi kids' books written before then, but it's popularity has exploded since.
Ironically, Rowling's United Kingdom seems to churn out the most sci-fi/fantasy authors. It's not easy finding popular books as such written by Americans. Don't get me wrong, there are some great books. But for read-alouds to kids, having a book written by an author with the same dialect and verbal mannerisms as our popular culture does make a difference.
Right now I'm reading the Shadow Children series, by Margaret Peterson Haddix. In short, our government has become totalitarian after a huge food shortage, and one of the "rules" they came up with is to outlaw having more than three children, which is punishable by death (the whole family, that is). The lead character is twelve, a third child, and has lived his life being blinds and in an attic. It's very big brother 1984-ish. And not something you'd consider a plot to a children's series.
Check out my link for www.goodreads.com. It's fun, especially if you like to read.

1 comment:

Judy in Indiana said...

I am reading Beach Music by pat Conroy. I picked it up a long time ago, thinking he is a good writer and surely I will enjoy this book, too. I am trying to read what i have on hand, as I have small pile I need to work through before I get sidetracked by other books at the library.

Beach Music is okay. A bit long. Pat has the same problem as Stephen King, a bit of the diarrhea of the mouth. I am very close to the end of the book and can't wait for it to be done. He could have deleted whole chapters and not changed the book much at all.