Sunday, August 10, 2008

Opinions are like...

A raise would be nice. Or a company car. Although I doubt having a school bus parked on the curb is allowed in our covenants.

Blissful ignorance is a virtue that guys should embrace. Again, I am astonished by how much gossip (usually true) travels around a community, especially when it involves a child's school. I swear I probably knew my class list after many parents did. I certainly didn't know that a new third grade teacher was hired before many parents (Judy, I give you props for that one, and so do all of the third grade teachers). And I'm pretty sure I knew about it even before the new teacher did. It's kind of spooky how things get out.

The floating opinions of parents really get to me sometimes. I haven't really heard much about myself (again, blissful ignorance is a gift), but I overhear things about other teachers. But here's my philosophy: I am not a perfect teacher or human being. I am aware of my flaws (which are many; some hidden, others not), and I must work with them. But rest assured, I work my darndest to be the best teacher, parent, husband, and person I can be. Also, any teacher decisions I make are made because that's what I consider best for the kid. I figure that if I keep this in mind for all people, I can relate to them.

Here's something I found: Rules for Teachers from 1915 (as you can tell, this refers to female teachers, I hope)

1. You will not marry during the term of your contract.
2. You are not to keep company with men.
3. You must be home between the hours of 8 PM and 6 AM
unless at a school function.
4. You may not loiter downtown in any of the ice cream
stores.
5. You may not travel beyond the city limits unless you
have permission of the chairman of the chairman of the
school board.
6. You may not ride in carriages or automobiles with any
man except your father or brother.
7. You may not smoke cigarettes.
8. You may not dress in bright colors.
9. You may under no circumstances dye your hair.
10. You must wear at least 2 petticoats.
11. Your dresses may not be any shorter than 2 inches above
the ankles.
12. To keep the classroom neat and clean you must sweep the
floor once a day, scrub the floor with hot soapy water
once a week, clean the blackboards once a day and start
the fire at 7 AM to have the school warm by 8 AM when
the scholars arrive.

2 comments:

Judy in Indiana said...

At least you can loiter at the ice cream store as Handel's is not downtown. Now if you loiter at jan's Pizza and Ice Cream Sundae bar, I guess that is another story. Can you loter at the Farmer's Market, since it is downtown? Maybe only if you have your chldren with you, to keep you on your guard and from being with unsavory characters.

Aaron B. said...

Are you saying that I can't be around you?


Sorry, that was mean.